Course Goals: To help students to develop skills and knowledge of standard concepts in ordinary differential equations.
- Identify essential characteristics of ordinary differential equations.
- Develop essential methods of obtaining closed form solutions.
- Develop essential methods of obtaining numerical solutions.
- Explore the use of differential equations as models in various applications.
- Explore the use of series methods to solve problems with variable coefficients.
- Explore methods of solving initial value problems by transform methods.
Student Learning Outcomes: Students will be able to:
- Classify ordinary differential equations according to order and linearity, as well as distinguish between initial value problems and boundary value problems.
- Solve standard constant coefficient nonhomogeneous ordinary differential equations by the methods of undetermined coefficients.
- Use the methods of Euler, Runge-Kutta, and others to solve differential equations numerically.
- Formulate and solve application problems.
- Find series solutions about ordinary and regular-singular points.
- Determine the solution of difference equation problems by z-transform methods and differential equation problems by Laplace Transform methods.