Course Goals: To help students to develop skills and knowledge of standard concepts in ordinary differential equations.
- Explore additional features of transform methods.
- Explore the use of partial differential equations as models for processes of heat transfer, wave propagation, and diffusion.
- Develop essential methods of obtaining solutions of classical partial differential equations.
- Explore the methods of solutions of boundary value problems.
- Investigate systems of ordinary differential equations.
Student Learning Outcomes: Students will be able to:
- Obtain solutions for ordinary differential equations whose nonhomogeneous terms include discontinuous functions or distributions.
- Solve classical partial differential equations such as the heat equation, wave equation, Laplace’s equation, and Poisson’s equation by various methods.
- Investigate the solutions of boundary value problems by analytical methods, as well as numerical ones such as the Rayleigh-Ritz procedure.
- Obtain solutions for systems of ordinary differential equations using various tools of linear algebra.