How do I know who my advisor is?

All Academic Exploration Program (AEP) students are assigned an advisor upon acceptance into the university. Each student will remain with the assigned advisor until declaration of a major, at which time the student will be assigned a new advisor in that department. Your advisor's name and contact information can be found in your WebAdvisor account. If you are new to the Academic Exploration Program or need advising assistance, please contact us at (570) 662 - 4824 to meet with an academic advisor.

How do I register for classes?

Students are required to meet with their academic advisor before they are eligible to register each semester. Upon meeting with you, they will discuss your plans and pre-selected courses. Your academic advisor must release you within the WebAdvisor system before you are able to register. The actual registration of courses will be done using your WebAdvisor account online. The registration process begins by reviewing your Program Evaluation (WebAdvisor) and the course offerings for the semester. Once you have pre-selected your courses and filled out the course selection form (pickup in 148 South Hall), you will meet with your academic advisor for approval of your courses.

When do I register?

For new freshman and transfer students, the first time you are registered for classes will be prior to arrival at orientation. From that point on, all continuing students register during their assigned registration period. Registration occurs every semester to schedule classes for the upcoming semester. The specific day in which you are eligible to register is determined by the total number of credit hours you've earned. Hours in which you are currently enrolled do not count in this total. The registration schedule can be found on the Registration page.

What are the deadlines for adding or dropping a class?

Although the specific dates for these deadlines change each semester, the last day to add or drop a class is generally within the first week of classes. Students should always consult the academic calendar to be certain of these and other important dates.

What is the difference between dropping and withdrawing from a course?

Dropping a course results in the class not appearing on your transcript while withdrawing will result in a grade of "W." A "W" does not calculate into your GPA.

What can I do to help me decide on a major?

Your Academic Exploration Program (AEP) advisor can assist with this process by helping to identify your strengths, interests and goals. You and your advisor can then discuss your options within the context of academic majors. In addition, as an AEP student you will be encouraged to utilize all free services available to MU students including, individual career counseling, workshops and computer-based career assessments (Counseling Center and Career Center). See your advisor for more information.

What is a minor?

A minor is an area of study that is less comprehensive than a major and typically ranges from 18-21 credit hours. Some students choose to complement their major program with a minor in a related field or even in an entirely different field of interest. Minors that are available at MU are described along with academic majors in the University Catalog. Students interested in pursuing an academic minor should contact the department responsible for the minor program for guidance and advising. Academic Exploration Program (undeclared) students must first declare a major before declaring a minor.

How do I declare a major?

The Change of Major form can be found on the forms page located on the Student Registration and Financial Services site. AEP students are required to get the signature of the department's chair for which they are declaring as well as the signature of the Director of Academic Advising. Finally, the form must be taken to the Registrar's Office (224 South Hall) for processing. Upon acceptance into the academic department, you will be assigned a new faculty advisor within that department.