Creating Forums and Topics
My students are not able to see my discussion topics.
Forums are used to organize your discussion topics. Discussions take place inside a topic, and each topic must belong to a forum to be visible to your users. Any settings you apply to a forum are also applied to all of the forum’s topics; for example, if you have several topics in which you want to allow anonymous messages, you can put these topics in a single forum and enable anonymous messages for that forum.
To create a new forum
- On the main discussion page, click New Forum on the top tool menu.
- Enter a Title for the forum.
- Enter a Description
Set any forum options you want:
- Click Save to save the forum, or Save and Add Topic to save the forum and create a new topic within it.
Topics are where discussions actually take place, where users post and read messages. Your course can include as many topics as you like, organized into forums. Each topic normally includes a description that defines the purpose of the topic and guides the conversation.
To create new topic:
Do one of the following:
- On the main discussion page, click New Topic on the top tool menu.
- On the main discussion page, click Add New Topic icon for the forum in which you want to create the topic.
- If you have just created a forum, on the New Forum page click the Save and Add Topic button.
In the Forum drop-down list, select the forum in which you want to create the topic.
- To create the topic in a new forum, click the New Forum link, enter information about the forum, and click Save.
- Enter a Title for the topic.
Enter a Description
- Depending on your course settings, topic descriptions may be displayed in the message list where users read and post messages. If this setting is enabled, you may want to keep descriptions short and avoid using large images.
Set the topic options you want:
- Click Save to save the topic, or Save and New to save the topic and create another one.
Published: 08/30/2010 Updated: 03/27/2013