Randomize Quiz Questions
Can I randomize Quiz questions? I would like to have questions randomly selected from a group of questions so no two quizzes will be alike.
Inserting a random section into a quiz ensures that each user will receive a unique set of questions. The random section pulls from a designated pool of questions stored in the Question Library.
It is important to note that you must import questions that have already been created elsewhere into a random section; you cannot create questions within the random section, nor can you move questions into this section. After selecting the questions from the library, you can specify how many questions from the random question pool each student should see. The random section will then randomly select this number of questions for each student that takes the quiz. This feature guarantees that each student will receive a unique quiz with different questions.
You must create a quiz before adding a random set of questions. Since random sections can only contain questions from the Question Library, it is important that you create questions in the Question Library or import questions created in Respondus into the Question Library before you create a quiz. You can then import the questions into the random section folder. There are no limits to the number or type of questions in a random quiz.
Creating a Random Section Folder
- Click the Quizzes link
- Click the quiz link (quiz name) you would like to add random questions to
- Click the Layout/Questions tab
Click the Add/Edit Questions button
- Select Random Section from the Create New drop-down list
Click the Go button
- Enter a name in the Section Name textbox (for example, “random short answers”)
- Select any applicable Display Options
- Click the Save button
- Click the link of the folder you just created
- Click the Import button
- Select the section you want to import questions from in the Source Section dropdown list, or choose Collection Root to view a list of all questions in the Question Library
Select the questions you want to include in the random section. You can automatically select all the questions in one section by checking the box beside the desired folder
- Click the Save button
- At the top of the page enter the number of questions you want each student to see from the random section
- Enter a point value for all the questions
Click the Save button
Note: All questions in one random section must have the same point value.
Published: 04/19/2010 Updated: 03/28/2013