Where can I study?

Thanks to Mansfield's direct exchange programs, you can study in the following countries: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Russia and Spain. But you are not limited to these choices, as other university exchange programs and ISEP can offer you a wide range of destinations all over the world: China, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, Ghana, Hungary, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Malta, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, Thailand, United Kingdom and many more...

How much will it cost?

The costs will depend upon the program that you choose. There are three possibilities :

  • Mansfield's exchange programs with Russia and some ISEP programs: you pay Mansfield University's tuition, room and board.
  • Direct exchanges with Canada, Germany, France, Spain, Australia, and some ISEP programs: you pay tuition to Mansfield University, but have to cover your expenses locally.
  • ISEP also proposes fee-based programs, in which you pay a fixed fee including tuition, room and board.

In every case, you are responsible for arranging your own travels and for covering the expenses involved by getting a passport and a visa.

See the costs page for more details.

Can I receive a scholarship for studying abroad?

Yes, you can. If you receive financial aid, you may use your aid funds to participate in all MU study abroad programs. You can also apply for a MU Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship, whose amount usually ranges between $250 and $1000.

Do I have to speak the language of the country I'd like to go to?

If you intend to go to Germany, France or Spain, you should have learned the corresponding foreign language for at least four semesters (or get your instructor's agreement). Otherwise, ISEP proposes courses taught in English at more than a half of its study sites. If you meet the requirements and choose to attend courses taught in a foreign language, most of the universities will offer you language courses before the exchange or during the academic year to help you strengthen your skills. Of course, such language problems do not occur with countries such as Canada, Australia or the UK.

How can I apply for a study abroad program?

First of all, you need to fill an application form, an academic reference and a waiver & release, and to return the completed file to the right program director. If you are accepted for study abroad, you have to ask the Registrar's Office for a transfer of credit and, if necessary, a scholarship application. You must meet the requirements in terms of medical issues, passport and visas, which all depend upon the destination.

See the procedures and forms for more details.

When do I have to plan my study abroad journey?

As soon as possible! Studying abroad is not a light decision, and you should plan your journey well in advance. It is usually difficult to organize an exchange for the following semester; you should think about your study abroad project one year before your actual travel.

Is it dangerous to study abroad?

Mansfield University monitors very carefully the security situation in the many cities around the world where Mansfield students study, and in particular in Volgograd, Russia, where our largest exchange program is based. The American Embassy in Moscow provides an information and support network for all American citizens on an extended stay in Russia.

The staff at the International Student Exchange Program offices in Washington also takes security very seriously and keeps in touch constantly with all ISEP coordinators everywhere.

See our pages about medical and safety issues for more details.