Course Goals: To help students to develop skills and knowledge of standard concepts fundamental to calculus, particularly the derivative.
- Develop the concept of limit through multiple representations (numerical, graphical, and symbolic)
- Develop the concept of derivative and standard algorithms for taking derivatives
- Explore applications of derivatives in contextual problems
- Apply the derivative concept to the exploration of function behavior
- Introduce the concept of antiderivative and integral
Student Learning Outcomes: Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of limit
- Discuss the concept of derivative and take derivatives using standard rules.
- Solve realistic application problems.
- Use Maple to reconcile a function’s behavior with characteristics in first and second derivatives.
- Take integrals using standard rules.