B.A. University of Pittsburgh: Political Science, minor in Chinese, certificate in Russian and East European Studies
M.A. Indiana University of Pennsylvania: Literature and Criticism
Ph.D. Indiana University of Pennsylvania: Literature and Criticism
University Services and Activities
- Administrative Affairs and Elections (chair)
- English Outreach Committee (chair)
- English Evaluation Committee (chair)
- English Curriculum Committee
- International Advisory Board
Creative, Community, Professional and Scholarly Activities
- "A Barbarian's Reed Pipe: Teaching Maxine Hong Kingston's The Woman Warrior," Teaching American Literature: A Journal of Theory and Practice, 8.4 (2017): 78-99.
- "Ties that Bind in Opposition: The Postcolonial Dynamics of Family and Freedom in Amitav Ghosh's The Shadow Lines," Journal of Commonwealth and Postcolonial Studies, 3.2 (2015): 34-44.
Conferences, Guest Lectures, and Presentations
- "Education East and West: A Comparative Approach." Act 48 Workshop. IUP. 22 July 2004.
- "Cross-Cultural Communication & Study Abroad." Introductory Japanese. IUP. Mar. 2007.
- "Living and Working Abroad." Studies in Literature as a Profession. IUP. Apr. 2008.
- "Introduction to Asian Cultures," Penn Highlands Community College. Mar. and Oct. 2008.
- "Microexpressions and Social Neuroscience." 3rd Annual Table Talks. IUP. Nov. 2008.
- Attended 21st Annual American Literature Association Conference. San Francisco, CA. 27-30 May 2010.
- "Living and Studying in China." CHNS 001 and 002, Penn State Behrend. Oct. 2012.
- "Yammer for Higher Education." Symposium for Teaching and Learning with Technology. Penn State University Park, State College, PA. Mar. 2013.
- "Using Doceri in the Classroom." University Days. Mansfield University, Mansfield, PA. 17 Jan. 2014.
- "iPad eBoarding." Springboard, Mansfield University. Mansfield, PA. 22 May 2014.
- "Trekking in Annapurna." REC 2909 Women Outdoors. Mansfield University. Mansfield, PA. 13 Oct. 2014.
- "Karuna and Critical Theory," International Symposium for Contemplative Studies. Boston, MA. 1 Nov. 2014.
- "Using Rubrics," co-presented with Nicolle Mayo: Learning Café. Mansfield University. Mansfield, PA. 20 Nov. 2014.
- "Buddhist Meditation: Ancient and Modern," Corning Community College, 24 Mar. 2015.
- "An Informal Visit to a Learning Café," co-presented with Nicolle Mayo. Innovations in Faculty Development Symposium. Shippensburg University. 2 June 2015.
- Attended 11th Annual Summer Session on Contemplative Pedagogy. Smith College. Northampton, MA. 2-7 Aug. 2015.
- "The Globalization of Chinese Cinema." 69th Annual Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association Convention. Santa Fe, NM. 9 Oct. 2015.
- "Writing for the Web," University Days Roundtable. Mansfield University. Mansfield, PA. 25 Aug. 2016.
- "Six Realms of Samsara in Mo Yan's Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out." 70th Annual Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association Convention. Salt Lake City, UT. 6 Oct. 2016.
- "What Can('t) You Do with That? Talking with English Majors about Jobs." EAPSU 2016. Clarion University. Clarion, PA. 5 Nov. 2016
- "Using VoiceThread." University Days. Mansfield University. Mansfield, PA. 24 Aug. 2017.
- Modern Language Association
- Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association
- Poe Studies Association
- The Association for Contemplative Mind in Higher Education
World Literature Professional Writing Chinese Language and Literature Film Multicultural American Literature Contemplative Studies