NOTE: If you know of any resources or links that should be included, or if you have a question that you feel should be answered on this page, please contact Ms. Melinda Phillips.

Any reasonable suggestions will be considered.
Thank you.

Resources: On-Campus | In-State | Out of State Related Sites FAQs

On-Campus Resources

Academic Advising Center
133 South Hall
(570) 662-4825
E-mail: Deb Rotella, Director
(570) 662-4824
E-mail: Mani Ramasamy, Office Assistant

Admissions Office
Ground floor, South Hall
(570) 662-4243

Center of Services for Students with Disabilities
143 South Hall
(570) 662-4691
E-mail: Melinda Phillips, Coordinator
(570) 662-4436
E-mail: Laurie Buck, Office Assistant

Learning Center
135 South Hall
(570) 662-4767
E-mail: Kim Slusser, Director

MU Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator
(570) 662-4052

Residence Life
120 Pinecrest
(570) 662-4933
E-mail: Chuck Colby, Associate Vice President

Student Activities
Third floor, Alumni Hall Student Center
(570) 662-4980
E-mail: Steve Plesac, Director

Student Affairs
326 Alumni Hall
(570) 662-4981
E-mail: Christopher Bridges, Vice President

Summer Courses
Office of the Registrar,
224 South Hall
(570) 662-4873
E-mail: Lori Cass, Registrar

University Counseling Center
144 South Hall
(570) 662-4798
E-mail: Jolene Meisner , Coordinator
(570) 662-4436
E-mail: Laurie Buck, Office Assistant

University Police and Safety
Doane Center
(570) 662-4900

University Telephone for the Deaf (TDD)
(570) 662-4800
(570) 662-4437 (North Hall)

In-State Resources

Learning Disabilities Association of America
4156 Library Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15234
(412) 341-1515

Office of Vocational Rehabilitation
Grit Building
Suite 102
208 W. Third Street
Williamsport, PA 17701-6401
(800) 442-6359

PA Coalition for Citizens with Disabilities
101 South Second Street
Suite 4
Harrisburg, PA 17102
(800) 432-3060
(717) 238-0172

PA Council for the Blind
919 Walnut Street, 10th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 238-1410

PA Department of Public Welfare
P.O. Box 2675
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2675
(800) 692-7462

PA Office for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired
Department of Labor and Industry
1308 Labor and Industry Building
Harrisburg, PA 17120
(717) 783-4912 (TTY/Voice)
(800) 233-3008 (TTU/Voice)

TriCounty Association for the Blind
1800 N Second Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110
(717) 238 - 2531


Out of State Resources

ADDult Support Network
c/o Mary Jane Johnson
2620 Ivy Avenue
Toledo, OH 43613

National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress
1291 Taylor Street, NW,
Washington, DC 20542

Association of Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD)
107 Commerce Center Drive, Suite 204
Huntersville, NC 28078 USA
(704) 947-7779

Orton Dyslexia Society
Chester Building, Suite 382
8600 LaSalle Road
Baltimore, MD 21286-2044

Attention Deficit Disorder Association
15000 Commerce Parkway, Suite C
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054

President's Committee on Employment of Citizens with Disabilities
1331 F. Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004-1107
(202)376-6200 (Voice)
(202)376-6205 (TDD)

Children and Adults with ADD (CHADD)
499 NW 70th Avenue #308
Plantation, FL 33317

Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic
20 Roszel Road
Princeton, NJ 08540

Council for Exceptional Children
1920 Association Drive
Reston, VA 20191-1589

Social Security Office
200 Civic Center Plaza
Corning, NY 14830

Council for Learning Disabilities
11184 Antioch Road
Box 405
Overland Park, KS 66210

Social Security
info: (800)772-1213

Disability Rights Education & Defense Funds
2212 6th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
(800)466-4232 (TDD)

U.S. Department of Justice Office on the Americans with Disabilities Act
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section
P.O. Box 66738
Washington, DC 2035-6738
(800)514-0383 (TDD)
(202)514-6193 (Electronic Bulletin Board)

HEATH Resource Center
(Higher Education for the Handicapped)
1 Dupont Circle, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036-1193


Related Sites

General Information

Specific Information

Legal Information

Education Resources

Assistive Technology & Resources

Support Groups

General Information Sites

Specific Information Sites

Education Resources Sites

Legal Information Sites

Assistive Technology & Resources

Support Group Sites


We have provided answers to some of the more commonly asked questions. If you have additional questions or need more specific answers please contact our office: Laurie Buck

Thank you.

What constitutes a disability?

A disability is defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act 0f 1973 as a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more life activities. Learning is an example of a major life activity. If you have a mental or physical condition, a history of such a condition, or a condition which may be considered by others as substantially limiting, you may have a legally defined disability.

What does substantially limiting mean?

According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, substantially limiting is defined as being unable to perform a major life activity, or being significantly restricted as to the condition, manner or duration under which a major life activity can be performed (in comparison to the average person or to most people).

What is a major life activity?

According to Section 504, a major life activity is defined as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

What are academic adjustments?

Appropriate academic adjustments create an equal access to education, as long as it doesn't require a substantial change in an essential element of the curriculum. This is determined by the institution. Such modifications may include an adjustment in the amount of time allowed to complete a degree, substitution of degree requirements, and adaptation of the manner in which specific courses are conducted.

If I register for services, will it show up on my permanent record?

No, it won't. What is considered a student's permanent record, which is maintained by the registrar's office, is completely separate from the record maintained in this office.

What arrangements should be made for testing for a disability and what is 'appropriate documentation'?

The checklist provided below is intended to assist you in finding a qualified evaluator to assess for a disability and to inform you as to what documentation is required by our office in order for you to receive services.

Qualifications of Evaluator

  • Qualified Evaluator:
    • Learning disabilities: licensed or certified psychologist or neuro-psychologist
    • All other disabilities: appropriate per the specific disability (e.g., licensed or certified psychologist, neuropsychologist, medical doctor, psychiatrist)
  • Assessment report should be typed on letterhead and must be dated, signed and legible
  • The name, title and professional credentials of the evaluator must be clearly stated
  • The evaluator should be experienced working with adolescents/adults with the particular disability being assessed


  • The assessment report must be recent and appropriate (i.e., it includes current deficits and their effect(s) on academic functioning)
    • Learning disability assessments should include:
      1. a complete intellectual assessment with all subtests and standard scores reported;
      2. a comprehensive academic achievement battery with all subtests and standard scores reported;
      3. an assessment of specific areas of information processing (memory, auditory/visual perception, processing speed, executive functioning, motor ability);
      4. a statement of the specific diagnosis; and
      5. a profile of strengths and weaknesses
    • Assessments of all other disabilities should include:
      1. a description of relevant physical or sensory deficits;
      2. medical diagnosis;
      3. a medical history of condition and current medication regimen (if any); and
      4. a psychiatric assessment, if relevant

For further information contact:

  • Center of Services for Students with Disabilities - (570) 662 - 4695
  • State System office of social equity - (717) 720 - 4040

I am a high school senior and I want to attend Mansfield University. I have a learning disability. What do I need to do to register with your office?

Our office is not a direct participant in the admissions process. Prospective students with or without disabilities need to work with the Admissions Office and follow their guidelines.

  • Admissions: (570) 662 - 4243 or 1-800-577-6825

After a student is admitted to Mansfield University, an appointment can be made with the SSD Coordinator. The student with a learning disability should be prepared to provide a copy of his/her documentation which will be evaluated by our Coordinator. Documentation Guidelines

My transfer GPA is not high enough to get into Mansfield University, but I have a disability that affected my grades. Is there anything your office can do to help me get admitted?

A student in this particular situation is always encouraged to write a letter of explanation and/or appeal (if admission has been denied) detailing his/her academic record. This letter should be sent to the Transfer Admissions Office where it will be reviewed by an admissions committee. Our office is not involved in the admissions process; however, it is used (on occasion) as a resource by the Admissions Office.

I am not doing very well in school this semester, and I believe that I have a learning disability. Can I get tested in your office for that?

Educational testing is not administered in our office. However, the Learning Center does provide a preliminary LD/ADD assessment for Mansfield University students. This screening can indicate the advisability of more specialized assessment. Our office can assist students in finding assessment sources outside the University community.

I am on crutches for a temporary injury. Can I get a special parking permit?

The Mountie Express is available each day for transportation on campus and in the Mansfield community . When the Mountie is not running, University Police can provide assistance, call 570-662-4900. 

Special Permits (University Issued) If you suffer from illness or injuries that inhibit or significantly limit your mobility and you need a SPECIAL permit, you must obtain a medical excuse from a physician. A letter from your physician must describe the medical condition, the length of time that the permit will be required, and the extent to which the illness or injury significantly inhibits mobility.

If you need a state issued handicapped placard, you will find an application here.

I have a hand/arm injury. How can I take my tests?

If you feel assistance is necessary, please contact our office. Volunteer scribes may be available for testing and other tasks (such as typing).

I am on crutches/in a wheelchair -- is there any service to help me get to my classes?

Regretfully, there is no special transit on campus for students (or anyone else) with mobility difficulties. However, our staff is adept at problem solving. Give us a call at (570) 662 - 4695.